The Environment Agency begins a public consultation on its draft decisions for three environmental permits for the proposed Hinkley Point C Nuclear Power Station on August 13.
EDF Energy’s and Centrica’s joint venture company, NNB Generation Company Limited, applied for the permits in July last year. Each permit is a key regulatory permission that is required to operate the power station.
The Environment Agency is deciding whether the permits should be issued and, if so, what their conditions should be. If granted, the permits would allow the power station to:
• Discharge and dispose of radioactive wastes;
• Discharge cooling water and liquid effluents into the Bristol Channel ;
• Operate standby power supply systems using diesel generators.
The Agency has consulted on and assessed the applications and considers that the permits could be issued subject to the limits and conditions specified to ensure that people and the environment are properly protected.
As part of the 13-week consultation a number of public “surgeries” will be held, where people can arrange to meet an Environment Agency specialist to discuss the draft decision documents.
‘We will make sure that any new nuclear power stations in England and Wales meet high standards of environmental protection and waste management. Our draft permits are included in the consultation documents and we’ve set out our reasoning in the draft decision documents. People now have a further opportunity to comment or provide information on our draft decisions,’ said Brian Payne, Nuclear New Build Project Manager for the Environment Agency.
‘Our consultation closes on the 9 November so there is plenty of time to get responses to us. We will not make final decisions until we have carefully considered all the comments we receive during consultation.’
Anyone can phone our National Customer Contact Centre on 03708 506506 to book an appointment:
DATE TIME LOCATION
10 Sept 10am-7pm Phoenix Centre, Watchet
11 Sept 10am-7pm Bridgwater Town Hall
13 Sept 10am-7pm Princess Theatre, Burnham-on-Sea
18 Sept 10am-7pm Stogursey Victory Hall
19 Sept 10am-7pm Cannington College
20 Sept 10am-7pm Otterhampton Village Hall
27 Sept 10am-7pm Memorial Hall theatre, Barry,
Comments can be sent by post quoting the application number to:
The Environment Agency
Permitting Support Service
PO Box 4404
Or email [email protected]
The summary of the draft decision documents for consultation can be viewed at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/hinkleypoint; the application documents in full are available on EDF’s website:
Any media enquiries should be directed to the Environment Agency press office on 01392 442008
NOTE TO EDITORS
Copies of the full documents are also available to view at the following locations:
• Environment Agency Office,
Rivers House, East Quay, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 4YS. T: 03708 506506
• Environment Agency Office,
Rivers House, St. Mellons Business Park, Fortran Road, St. Mellons, Cardiff CF3 0EY. T: 02920 245330
• West Somerset Council, West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, Somerset TA4 4QA. T: 01643 703704
• Minehead Customer Centre, 1-3 Summerland Road, Minehead TA24 5BP, T: 01643 703704
• Sedgemoor District Council, Bridgwater House, King Square, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 3AR. T: 01278 435591
• Burnham-on-Sea Library, Princess Street, Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset TA8 1EH. T: 01278 780505
• Highbridge Public Library, Alpha House, Market Street, Highbridge, Somerset TA9 3BP.T: 0845 345 9177
• Somerset County Council, Major Energy Projects, Environment Directorate, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset TA1 4DY. T: 01823 357129
• North Somerset Council Corporate Services Unit, Somerset House, Oxford Street, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset BS23 1TG. T: 01934 427434
• Vale of Glamorgan Council, Pollution Control Team, Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry CF63 4RU. T: 01446 709 779
Any responses received including personal information, must normally be placed on the public register so people need to say if they do not want the comment to appear on the register.
The applications can be viewed at the Environment Agency Office during normal office hours (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday). Please ring in advance to arrange an appointment by calling the National Customer Contact Centre on 03708 506 506. You can also request a copy of the documents (a charge may be made to cover the cost of copying).
Follow us on Twitter: @EnvAgencySW