People have been urged to take extra action to ensure the welfare of their pets, livestock and wildlife during the cold weather.
Chief Veterinarian Nigel Gibbens said:
“Our animals need extra care during this cold weather. I know many pet owners are already thinking about what else they need to do. But for those who aren’t – there are some really simple steps they can take to ensure their pets stay healthy and happy during the cold weather.”
Things people can do include:
- Think about housing for your pets. Where pets, such as rabbits and guinea pigs, are kept outside in hutches think about bringing them into garages/sheds where it is warmer;
- Horses and ponies that are kept outside should have access to shelter;
- It is important to ensure a good supply of drinking water, and ice should be cleared from it regularly;
- There should be regular provision of food for the animals;
- In an emergency you should contact an animal welfare group.
More information is available at www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/welfare/weather/